Thursday, March 30, 2017

Life on the funny farm



This is Jake's 12th season playing and my 9th season apart of this rollercoaster we call our life. The last 9 weeks has been some of the hardest weeks of our life. We welcomed our sweet son into the world on January 25 weighing 7 lbs 3 oz. I had an amazing labor like Stella, and he is the sweetest little boy. We love him so much, and so grateful to get to experience a boy and girl. He has stolen my heart.  Everyone thinks it will be so easy after birth, but Cope got very sick around 3 weeks with strep b, croup, and another infection. Then the medical bills start coming in (we picked a horrible plan while in Japan) and Jake starts spring training two weeks after he is born now competing for a spot. It was a lot adjusting to two kids, being so spoiled having Jake with me 24/7 for 4 months, and a new team knowing the reality of the situation if he didn't pitch well.

My mom has told me more than I have wanted to hear, but it does make me laugh every single time that my life right now is "life on the funny farm".. I guess laughing is better than crying and have done more than I like to of that as well. I remember when Jake would pitch and I wouldn’t be allowed to mention money or anything that would stress him out. ha i feel like now everything happens the day he pitches including Stella taking off running up to him while warming up to show him her new lollipop as the entire front office is there and watching (oops) LIFE HAPPENS ON DAYS YOU PITCH.. This has been the hardest spring training of the 12 spring trainings he has had. We aren’t dumb, we are “old” in baseball and we knew we are one of the guys who easily could be released plus hearing they needed to release 20+ guys. We had negativity daily from players, and that got to Jake mentally big time. I book a place in AAA (Toledo, Ohio) weeks ago, and then know possibility of 7 different scenarios can happen. Monday we were told one thing and in another state so I started to look frantically for a place there (because Jake is leaving in 2 days) and then to Tuesday being told something completely different. I haven’t even been able to pack because i don't know what I'm packing for. I knew it would come down to 24 hours before we would leave we would find out where we would move to. We also have decided to rent our home out for the season, and they are supposed to be moving in the end of April but haven’t packed one thing for that either! So life on the funny farm.. 

 This past week i’m cross sided. I don't know what to think anymore or where to begin between therapy for Cope, and life. I am waving my white flag and giving it to the Lord. We don't understand the outcome of everything, but I know this Jake has worked so hard and continues to amaze me with his attitude, and spirit. I know wherever we end up this season is exactly where we are supposed to be. We definitely aren’t starting where we would like to, BUT it isn’t where we are finishing. We have so much to be thankful for and I have been reminded constantly on social media seeing so many friends getting released it could be worse! Jake was told that he has to stay in extended here. What this means is he doesn't have a spot on any team, and until unfortunately someone gets hurt he will just practice in Lakeland with the 18 year olds who just signed or guys who are rehabbing. Not going to lie we both were very upset at first, and still hurts. Its humbling to be this far in the game, and to be in extended with no spot?? I mean we thought we were going back to Japan to now extended at 29 years old.. I was so proud of Jake for accepting this assignment we looked at a lot of different options, but between our agent and us talking we all agreed this was the best option especially with two kids, and really like Detroit. We get to live at home, Cope can continue therapy for his neck to strengthen, and get older before we leave. I was so proud of Jake he said lots of times older guys aren't the nicest everyone is bitter in extended, but he plans on using this for good and to help the young players and to have the best attitude every day. Thats all you can do! We will take each day for what it is and keep pushing through to follow his dream of playing baseball! It could be a day or a month, but we are just on standby for AA or AAA. Our parents are amazing and both willing to do whatever to help transition us with with this move. My dad is on stand by to drive both places are about 17 hours with my car and trailer, and the Brighams have talked about driving Jake's car up because more than likely Jake will have to fly out quickly once we get the call. I'm grateful they haven't disowned us and our crazy life just yet... haha 

 I could not be prouder of Jake and how hard he has worked, and continues to work to pursue his dream! I believe this still is an exciting time for us and our family! Looking at these pictures I have to stop and smile knowing how blessed are we?? Our marriage is stronger than ever, we have two beautiful now healthy children, and an amazing support system from our friends and family! This is just one curveball in our journey and I know God has big plans for us whether its baseball or not I know HE ISN'T DONE with us! 








No comments:

Post a Comment