Last week Jake got that call that he was pitching an inning in one of the spring training big league games! We were (well...Robin, my mom, and I) started FREAKING OUT!! We couldn't get the questions out fast enough!
How I found out.. I drop Jake off at the field and when I came to pick him up that afternoon we were driving out of the complex having our usual conversation.. "How was workouts, you throw today, anything new, etc?" At least 5 minutes had gone by, and he goes "Oh yeah....I'm throwing in a big league game Tuesday."
OH YEAH???!!! He acted like he just got a piece of bubble gum from the field or something!! I started to freak out, so excited, mumbling my questions, and almost crashed! After he told me all the details, I told him you better start calling your family, and my family asap! I understand the possibility of something happening, and him not pitching. That is why he wasn't too excited, but come on...we have been waiting for this day for a long time!!
Tuesday finally gets here, and it was the longest weekend of my life! We played against the Mariners in Peoria. We find out he is pitching the 9th inning. I don't show up to the game until about the top of the 3rd. I knew i'de be a nervous wreck!!! Let me just say, it was the LONGEST game of my life! I didn't know anyone, and i'm sitting alone..The time is going by so slow, and I can see Jake in the bull pen. They all look the same that far away, so every time I thought it was him running out I would get my video ready on my phone, and film "him" running out... I had to delete about 4 videos when I realized it wasn't Jake. lol We are loosing in the 8th inning, and since we are the away team they don't play the 9th inning. The game is over, and Jake did not pitch! :( We had no idea when Jake would be pitching again! That night we finish eating dinner, and his phone rings.The pitching coach said he was pitching the next day in the 8th inning, and it's a home game!
During the game I was sitting with one of the big leaguers wife, Lori and talked her ear off (poor girl!) I am so glad I had someone to talk to because it makes the game go by quicker, and I wasn't so nervous! Her husband gets done with what he needed to do that day, and they end up leaving in the 7th inning. Again.. I am stuck sitting alone, and I start to feel really sick, and shaking seeing Jake warming up! All these thoughts are going through my head, and I just want him to do awesome!! I have my camera ready, my phone out with the video on to record him. Right before the 7th inning is over, I have this crazy woman who is literally screaming (the security guards were watching her very closely) came up to me stands right in front of my seat and starts complimenting me on each piece of my outfit (very sweet of her) but, MOVE! Within seconds of him running out, she finally goes to annoy someone else and Jake comes running out! The feeling I had at the moment was one of the best/scariest moments I think I have ever felt other than walking down the aisle! He starts to warm up, and I can tell he is anxious by his pitches. The announcer says "AND NOW PITCHING FOR TEXAS IS JAKE BRINGHAM..." ERRR! I wanted to go up to the announcer in his box, and tell him the correct way to pronounce our last name, BRIGHAM! The first two pitches are in the dirt.. Ball 2, no strikes, or outs.. We see the catcher waving his arms telling Jake to calm down! He takes a deep breath, and throws again the guy hits it, and it's a pop up! Next guy.. same thing, and the final guy a ground ball!
The inning is over and Jake did amazing!! I was such a proud wife!!! He starts to walk off the field, and I wish I could've ran over to him to give him the biggest hug, but I probably would've been arrested! I get up to leave, and I see him walking out to the locker room, and fans are all leaning over wanting him to sign balls! I just had to smile thinking he finally got his chance, and this is only the beginning to this amazing chapter in our life!
| Oh yeahh 98 swing that ball for a strike!! :) |
Jake running out of the bullpen
God has given Jake an ability only a few people are able to do! Jake knows he is so blessed to be able to even have an opportunity like this! We are so thankful for all God has done providing for us in the last two weeks, finding a place, and everything else that went wrong! We believe this is Jakes year to shine, and know he can only do it with God first in his (our) life! Thank you everyone so much for your prayers for Jake yesterday! It was one of the best days for Jake, and our families!!


Thank you for sharing such an exciting event with us!! I could feel your excitement in every word :) We are so happy for you both to have this awesome opportunity. Can't wait to see what God has in store for you both :) Love,
ReplyDeleteAunt Lisa
Such an amazing experience for you both!!! God is good!!!! :)
ReplyDeleteLOVE it! You will calm down as it goes on..well maybe! Ask Lorie...sometimes, you are nervous forever!! :-)
ReplyDeleteSo glad he did well!
He acts just like Willie. But, I think the middle of the road emotions are best. If you feel the great is so great and the bad is so bad..you are constantly on a roller coaster in this life. Try to remember that!
And, I don't even want to hear about mispronunciations. Hahaha! Willie is always getting the wrong one...and sometimes, fans will call him Scott(his brother).
So awesome Taylor! Mind if I share this story on the baseball wife blog? I remember the day Elliot got his first big league spring training hit. I'll never forget it. So awesome! :)
ReplyDeleteYay! How exciting! My husband was called up last year to a big league spring training game but he was in the same boat as Jake was in the 1st game. He didn't actually get to pitch. Hopefully this year! I am so excited for you guys!! God is good :)
ReplyDeleteYou gave me goosebumps!! HOW EXCITING! I can't wait/hope for when that day comes for my honey! Congratulations! I know you must be so proud!
ReplyDelete